Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Easy made almond flour

So, if you're like me, the worst part of almond flour is buying it. Regardless of where I go, I can not find a decently priced bag of almond flour. Well, I should say, I can never find a "good-sized" bag of almond flour in comparison to it's price. Bottom line is the stuff is expensive and these days no one wants or needs to be spending $10 on a cup-sized bag of almond flour.


So what we can do is just make our own! I found a bag of sliced, blanched (skin-on) almonds at Costco the other day for about $5-$7. It was a decently sized bag. I know you can also get a 1 lb bag of sliced almonds on amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Raw-Natural-Sliced-Almonds-Pound/dp/B001F3J86I) for a very cheap price as well. Take your sliced almonds and throw them in a food processor or a blender and pulse until it becomes a flour/meal. Be careful to not blend too much as it will turn into almond butter, another make at home favorite.


I've found this to be a lot more convenient and soooo much cheaper. This will pay off in the long run, plus there's just "too much awesomeness" in doing it yourself at home. Almond flour is an excellent substitute for regular flour and there are several great paleo recipes online for paleo-style baked goods. Give it a try and let me know how it goes. Bake away!


-Mrs. Fields

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mrs. Fields! :)

    I tried once before to make my own almond flour, but had trouble getting it to be fine enough in the food processor. I think the trick must be starting with the sliced almonds instead of whole almonds. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So was this AB or Mrs Fields?

    ReplyDelete